Friday, September 21, 2012

Yes, I chose the pat down today

....at the airport, that is. I don't know if you all have noticed but there has been a new norm at the airport--an increase of x-ray emissions and radiation from the machines we are expected to go through to assure all of our security. I went through one of these in Minneapolis heading out on Tuesday to Pittsburgh to just see if my body could feel the energy that comes from those machines. I took the chance to be exposed to more radiation. I have been exposed to enough in my life, in fact we all have been exposed to a lot. Like every time we have gone to a doctor or dentist. So, the fact that this is now a norm to security at the airports is ridiculously. So, your option is to do a pat down. So you are alienated by taken aside and asked these questions of you and touched on every part of your body all because you choose not go to through the x-ray machine. Did we really need to put these types of machines now in airports? I am really curious to do some more research on them and also wonder about the employees who have to work by these machines every day....so, yes I was probably the only person in the Pittsburgh airport today who saw the sign that says,"step into the x-ray security and your alternative is to have a pat down," and chose the alternative. But if we all started to say we aren't going in the machine and choose a pat down, it would slow down the lines, take more airport staff, and who knows maybe it would cause the airport to reconsider this in my opinion, unnecessary and unethical choice to travel. I am all about us being safe when we travel, but when is too far, too far?

No comments: